Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Crossing over

So lately, every where I go, just about, I encounter someone, believers and some not, who are interested in or are pursuing adoption. For some, the call is so near, it almost engulfs them. It is all they can think about until God starts to put things in motion. It is kind of like watching someone in labor:-) Ask any woman, the week or so (some even longer) before she delivers, she is SOOO ready! Enough preparation already, bring it on! I have gotten the privilege of being with several friends during their births, and there are some definate signs of stages of labor that are in many ways identical in each process. It is funny to see some similar "progression of stages" during the adoption process. I told Brian that what I am seeing is not so much that many people are all of the sudden "deciding" to adopt. I mean, we didn't just start having orphans recently, they have been around for a while. I believe that there is a spiritual movement, started by the very heart of God to care for these kids. Why now? I don't know. I do know God sees the full picture of eternity and time and I am sure there is a bigger kingdom purpose to all of it than what any of us can realize. God is doing something big, all on his own, and is inviting a lot of people to join Him. The reason I call this one crossing over, is because I believe that during the process, many times He also changes our hearts. We start out thinking that this is about us. We decided to adopt. We are starting the process. The reality, all you did was say yes to something God called you to. You cross over from a "us" centered purpose and God begins to show you the "Him" centered plan. I came across this verse this morning, and it really spoke to me. "I know longer call you servants because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead I have called you friends, for everything I have learned from my Father, I have made known to you." John 15:15. He has made us about His business. What an exciting thought that we are actually joining God in something He is doing. That gives me an extrodinary amount of peace knowing that He can't fail in His pursuits, which means in Him, neither can I. Not to mention that He calls us friends. Wow.

3 comments:

The Labontes said...

Such an accurate portrayal. I love how you describe the shift. It's an amazing journey to be invited on.

Think of you guys often!
Kristy

Kasey- said...

That is so true. Ben and I are finding out every single day that this is so much more than our fam ily bringing home an orphan.....that this is our part in a beautifully orchestrated plan. There is a new song out by Barlow Girl that asks "So tell me, what is our ending?Will it be beautiful?" I love it because I know my ending will be all the more beautiful as more Christians answer the call to minister to the people of his pasture. Thanks so much for your continued encouraging words to those of us out here navigating this for the first time.We can't wait to hug on miss Mia at the family reunion!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason and Kelley said...

I stumbled across your blog recently and am so encouraged by your adoption story. We are at the beginning of our own it seems. If I could ask, what agency did you go through for an adoption from India?
We have been drawn to India but think we still have a few years before we're eligible...

Thanks so much for any info. you might have.