Sunday, September 27, 2009

Thoughts in the waiting....

So I wonder sometimes if anyone really reads these "no-news" posts. And there is a part of me that struggles with whether or not I should even write some of these, however, today, it occurred to me (I am REALLY slow sometimes) that I will print these off and keep them for posterity sake not only for me to look back on, but especially for Mia. So today, it's confessions of the heart (this is your opportunity to navigate to a different page if you are looking for exciting news :-) I am starting to mentally prepare myself for the realities of bringing Mia home and all that that entails---trip there, stay there, return home, assimilation into life. I have been dealing with my own emotions and now trying as best I can to try and figure out how to help shoulder some of hers as well. As silly as this sounds, I often ask myself, "Will anyone be at the airport to greet us when we get home?" I was doing some adoptive parent online courses and it was asking pointed questions about what we will feel right when we bring the baby home. I am glad they asked very specific questions and was honestly surprised at what I learned about myself. They were talking about the difference in the way people celebrate birth and the to-do made over new babies vs. often the absence of this extended celebratory atmosphere when you bring home your adopted child. Huh. I never thought of that...,but as I started to, I realized that I have longed for and waited for this baby longer than all three of my pregnancies combined starting from when I filled out the first paper. Wow. That is a long time to wait and a long time to anticipate something! I don't want the return celebration to end as quickly as I am afraid it will :-) It's hard to imagine just putting my life on pause and then trying to resume it, plus one foreign baby as soon as we get off the airplane. I guess that is because that isn't at all what is happening emotionally or socially even though the boys will continue to go to school, I will need to jump back into grocery shopping, paying bills, routine. This is definitely uncharted territory. I have had three babies and am accustomed to what life looks life after that, but this time it is going to be a little more challenging. My foundation is knowing that God has prepared in advance what we need to accomplish the things He calls us to. Whew. Glad I thought of that :-) Lord, please prepare little Mia to be a part of our family. Everything in her world is about to be turned upside down--from the sounds she hears, sensations she feels, foods she tastes, things she sees. Every sense is going to be different. Help prepare her in ways that only you can. Help prepare us to be sensitive to her needs, easily adaptable and flexible in order to make her feel more at home and more comfortable. Lord, give me wisdom to know how to celebrate and bring people along side us to celebrate with us, for this is worth celebrating! Be with us in India as we meet for the first time, figure out how to spend our time together, adjust to learning one another, and trying to figure out how to balance getting done what we need to legally, what we want to emotionally, with being in another culture and trying to be gracious and wise. Thank you for the people you have already brought to us in so many ways to join us in this journey. Use our story to tell of your love and greatness toward men. Our story is your song. Our praise to you. Shine through in every way. Envelop our desires and plans and overwhelm them with your heart and plans. Go before us, with us, and be our rear guard. And please, Lord, expedite that passport!!! Well, I guess that is all I have for today. India is in the middle of a national holiday until sometime this coming week. The passport office is closed during this time. I am also trying to get over a cold which we be good to do before we leave. Thanks for your prayers! Look forward to sharing more news to come soon!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog. Love the song on your blog about waiting....definitely not my expertise:) It's a struggle to be patient.

Gran said...

Mom said:
We are excited and trying to patiently anticipate the arrival of our next and 14th grandchild, Mia Harvey. She looks so sweet and beautiful and just who God has picked out for your/our family. I was thinking today that maybe next summer we will have all 14 of our cgrandchildren to go to the beach with us! Time for another family photo! Whoo.... God is good! All the time! Though the waiting is sometimes the hardest part, it is also a preparation time in so many ways, and I know you know that probably better than me. Still, I can't help writing one of my favorite verses: Isaiah 40:31: He that waits upon the Lord shall renew his strength; he shall mount up with wings as eagles; he shall run and not be weary; he shall walk and not faint." Teach me, Lord, Teach me, Lord, to wait! ( and pray!)
Love you all, Mom